Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The kids did well

I managed to get this quilt put together this week. The kids in my son's 5th grade class made the blocks with the help of a couple of quilters. I cut out all the blocks and each student pieced one block. I made sure none of the blocks had pieces smaller than 2" finished. It was used in conjunction with a Lewis & Clark lesson. I picked a block from each state that Lewis & Clark went to on their journey. Because there were 20 students, I had to add some additional blocks to represent other things that I thought were appropriate. I hope to have it quilted so it can be entered into the fair this fall. I think the kids will really enjoy seeing their work displayed at the fair. I was pleasantly surprised how straight the sewing was. The students have more difficulties with the pressing than the sewing.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Can't do just One

Why is it when I do most patterns, I make multiple quilts of the same pattern? I think it is because I like the finished project so much. I really liked the baby quilt that looked like a present and how it turned out, so my wheels immediately starting thinking about the possibilities of color options for it.

When one of my good friends had a baby boy (after 2 girls), none of the boy quilts seemed to fit the family. They are complete sports nuts- especially football. When I was digging into my scrap bin, I came across this lonely fabric scrap. Just 3 strips 3 1/2" wide. Immediately the wheels staring turning and the fabric started flying.

Since my scraps were only 3 1/2" wide, I had to recalculate my measurements, and away I went. I am so pleased with how the quilt turned out for baby Tate. Now lets see if I can actually get it quilted before my kids go back to school.