Thursday, January 26, 2012

More Farming

I finished my January blocks and I wanted to post a few more tips.  This is block #55  Linoleum.  
  • 4 light 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
  • 4 dark 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
  • 5 dark 2 1/2" squares
  • 8 light 1 1/2" squares 

Place the light squares on the corner dark squares and chalk or draw a line corner to corner.  It is easier to do the stitch and flip method than to use the templates.  We are going to sew on the line. 
Since these pieces are so small, I cut away the excess of both pieces (the background and the square) after I pressed.  I pressed my rail pieces toward the red to help line the little signature blocks up.

Take care to get the angles going the correct way!! 

If you need a closer look, you can always click on the picture to make it larger




The bowtie block (#10) is made in a similar fashion. 
  • 4- 3 1/2" squares
  • 4- 2 " squares









  

Place the squares on the inside corner of all the squares and chalk a line on the diagonal.  Sew on the line and trim away the excess. 



I trimmed away both the background and the excess of the square fabric 1/4" from the stitch line.  I pressed the dark squares toward the larger square, and the light squares toward the small square.  This helped them to match up when sewing the 4 patch together.

Remember PINS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.  These pieces are only going to get smaller.  Pinning will help things match up nicely.

I have the first 8 blocks sewn, and they all measure 6 1/2".  It is wise to measure after each addition of fabric to make sure you have the correct seam allowance.  I really chose a lot of yellow in the first 8.  Good thing I have over 100 more to even things out.

These are my colors for the quilt (thank you Nancy and Char)  I am picking my colors from the bucket.  I think this will give me plenty of variety.  Since I am making this quilt in two colorways, I am planning on making baby quilts with the brights (20 blocks each). 

Grab your Farmer's Wife book and get sewing!

1 comment:

Randy D. said...

Teri, your blocks looks great! I love the colors!