Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coolest Trick

Sorry about the crazy layout of the pictures, but I can't seem to get them to go how I want them. I will have to read more on this subject. This is the coolest trick that I learned from watching a free video at Sharon Schamber's website. You needle will never come off the thread again!


  1. Make a loop with the short tail of the thread. She recommends never to use more than 12" (maybe that's my problem)

  2. Take your needle and pull it thru this loop (take notice of which thread is on top)

  3. Pull gently on the long tail of thread creating a slip knot

  4. Snug up the slip knot

This was an amazing thing for me. I can't tell you how many times I have to re-thread my needle when doing applique, or when my girls are doing yo-yo's. I tried this and you can't even feel it when you sew. I probably would have kissed Sharon if she had been standing next to me when I saw this.

The reasoning with the 12" - when the thread goes through the fabric multiple times, it wears the thread compromising the quality. This may be a contributing factor to my bindings breaking. I have a habit of making my thread an arms length.















Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was weird....I was just laying in bed last night thinking I need to look this up and you visited my blog, I went to yours and TA DA found this! Thanks!!

Laurie said...

i often tied a know for my kids when they were sewing but never thought to do it for myself; thanks.