Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Distressed!!

Last night while in a shopping frenzy, I couldn't find the crucial ingredient to my cranberry sauce recipe. After much searching (what did I do before the internet), I discovered that the company is out of business. How could that be? I thought the nice grocery store stocking man was mistaken. I scoured the internet for the recipe. I found a recipe, so I am going to give it a try. This recipe is untested without the Indian Trail sauce, but I am confident it will taste the same. I am often asked for this recipe, so I am passing it along:
Cranberry Salad
Orange Cranberry Relish: Grind with with food grinder (food processor would work also)
1 pound fresh cranberries (or one bag)
2 oranges quartered with seeds removed (with peel)
3/4 - 1 cup sugar
Let drain; refrigerate or freeze (this makes enough for 4 batches)
In large bowl Dissolve 1 large box Cherry Jello (Raspberry or Strawberry will work also) with 2 cups boiling water
Add:
3/4 cup Orange Cranberry Relish (formerly my friend Indian Trail)
2 cans whole berry cranberry sauce
1 can mandarin oranges
1 to 2 cubed apples
1 cup seedless grapes halved
1 can crushed pineapple drained (20 oz)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Pour into trifle bowl to look extra pretty or a 9X13 container and let set overnight. My kids like to have this year round. I am not a cranberry lover, but I love this recipe.

1 comment:

SubeeSews said...

No wonder I could not find the frozen relish. I walked around and around the freezer units at two grocery stores!!!!!!!

Luckily my mom always made it and I remembered most of the recipe. I did find cranberry flavored jello.
I have a mini food processor. But since I am the only one who eats this I only made about 1/3 a cup. I froze the rest of the cranberries.