Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Grandmother's Flower Garden

I only have a few spots I am not happy with.  I think that is pretty good in the whole grand scheme of things.  Each one of these hexies is about the size of a bobbin.  The quilt measures approximately 76"X90".  It was never finished by the maker before she passed.  I have a soft spot for these kinds of things.  It was all hand pieced - not with English paper piecing- but with sewing an 1/8" seam allowance.  I didn't find a single hole while quilting it.  There are a few spots with fullness issues (how could there not be?).  I have done some pretty crazy quilting things, but if I had started this, it would have remained a UFO forever.

You can see how the the maker was still in the process of making it larger.  I have a couple bags of partial pieces and hexie flowers.  I believe the white is a percale sheet (which would have made it extra slippery to piece these little guys)

 This is the worst spot for fullness.  There is actually a very small pleat in the fabric.  I am trying to decide if I should take the quilting out her and see if I can work in the fullness.

I used a pantograph called baptist fan on this quilt with Thinsulate batting.  I would have used cotton, but I needed more loft to take up some of the fullness.  I used King Tut thread on the top with Aurifil 40 weight in the bobbin.  This is one of my favorite combinations for quilting.  I love the texture and warmth that Thinsulate batting provides.

1 comment:

Claire said...

This antique quilt is looking great, Teri! Her family will love the memento.