Wednesday, September 5, 2012

FW #38 Four Winds

I wanted to get the last of the blocks for August posted...since it is already September.  I am still trying to catch up on my household duties and schedule since my quick trip to Memphis.  

Before we get started cutting, if you don't like the take-away method, substitute squares and half squares for the rectangles OR use 1 1/2" squares and sew on the diagonal of the rectangles.

Color 1 (my red- darkest)
  • 4 - 1 1/2" X 2 1/2"
Color 2 (my pink- medium)
  • 4 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" 
  • 4- 1" finished Half Squares (1 1/2" strip with Easy Angle)
Color 3 (my blue dot - medium)
  • 26- 1" finished half squares (1 1/2" strip w/EA)
Color 4 (my light blue)
  • 10- 1" finished half squares (1 1/2" strip w/EA)
  • 4 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" 
As I am typing this post and counting the pieces, I noticed that my block has a problem- UGH!  I hate it when that happens.  I may just leave my block with the little error. 

Start by using the take away method and trimming off the corners of the rectangles.  Take care to get the angles going the correct direction.  Cut the 4 pink and the 4 light blue all the same (pieces all face up)  Trim off 2 corners of the red rectangles in the same manner.

Sew the blue dot triangles on the corners of the rectangles.

Sew the half squares and square up to 1 1/2"
8- light with blue dot
2- light with pink
2- blue dot with pink

I pressed all seams open.  Arrange the blocks, take a break and, have a beverage.  You are probably out of patience by now.

Sew together the red rectangles with the pink rectangles to make a 2 1/2" square.  Sew 2 pink/blue dot, and 2 pink/light half squares to 4 blue dot/light half squares.  Now sew the remaining 4 half squares to the light rectangles.  Have you visited the seam ripper yet?

Sew together the units into 3 1/2" squares.  

See how my reds don't match with my pinks.  I didn't do a very well, I am sure yours will be better.  









Now join the 4 units together to make a  6 1/2" block.  TAKE SPECIAL CARE LOOKING AT YOUR PINK PIECES.  THERE ARE 2 OF EACH KIND.  MAKE SURE THEY GO ON OPPOSITE SIDES.  This picture is INCORRECT!  

I will post my finished block after I visit the seam ripper for a little afternoon entertainment.


I am not going to ask you if you enjoyed this block.  The first time I made this block, I used all half squares.  It can certainly be done either way. 

No comments: