Thursday, July 19, 2012

Binding Day

I am in the studio again today - Yeah!!  We received just 1" of rain this week.  It was a nice gentle rain, but I hope we can get more.  It is just crazy how I stand outside listen to the thunder, see the lightning, but yet no rain.




I worked on cutting bindings today and getting them attached to quilts.









The blue binding was cut on the bias.  It seemed like it took forever to sew the bias pieces together. This quilt was made from a quilt kit that I purchased from Pohlar Fabrics in Liberty Indiana.  I made the quilt larger by adding some fabrics from my stash.  I was a bit nervous if I would have enough binding.  I admit, I didn't measure the perimeter or look at a chart for bias binding.  I just cut the whole piece of fabric that was in my quilt kit.  It was a perfect binding experience- none of the miters ended up on the corners.  Here I am getting ready to turn the final corner.

This is the view of the floor when I turned the final corner.  Are you kidding me?  No wonder it seemed like I was sewing strips together forever!  I guess the kit had an extra generous amount of fabric included for the binding.  It was labeled bias binding, so I know I made it correctly.  The only thing I can think of is that I made mine 2 1/4" and they could have figured yardage on 2 1/2" binding.  I measured the leftover binding- 346".  This is enough binding for a 75" x 90" quilt.  It is now living in the bias binding container until I have a quilt that needs aqua and pink binding.  These are the finished quilts.  Well, not quite finished, they need the hand sewing done.

No comments: