Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Finally some sewing

I finally made it back to the studio for a little sewing.  Funny how life gets in the way of sewing.  I hope I am done with painting and house cleaning for a while, but those duties never end.  Perhaps that is why quilting is so rewarding.  When you finish a quilt or a project, it is done forever!  I can clean a room today, and I have to do it again tomorrow.

Most of my sewing was done at the library.  What a great little retreat.  The project this time was the twister block.  It was a lot of fun to see the projects be completed.  One person was inspired (or guilted) into making the miniature version for the FW quilt. 




These are the projects that were hung to admire at the end of the retreat.

The partial quilt on the bottom left is Nancy's.  The funniest part is that I had brought that green to the retreat for my FW quilt, and it worked out perfectly for her twister.  I love it when those kinds of accidents happen.


There were lots of opinions on color choices.







Several people contributed to my scrap bucket which I put on the cutting table.  This is a twister skeleton.  There is a bias square left after the twister blocks are cut.





This is the remains of the skeleton after I have cut 2" squares.  There is not much left.  If you want bias squares, you can get 2 1/2" out of them, but I cut 2" squares on the straight grain. 

This is my finished twister minus the borders.  What do you think?  Do you like the red or the green?  I am not too sure about the larger border either.  Perhaps it is because I only have about 5 floral pieces in my stash.  I have to admit that it looks better in the picture than I thought it did.

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

The twister project looks like a lot of fun, so sorry I missed it. I vote green, but I always vote green over red!

Eleanor said...

I like the green. It appears
softer and does not take away from
the twisters. My eye immediately
goes to the red border and not to
the main part of the quilt.
Lovely quilt!!