Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sawtooth #76

This one only has 22 pieces.  Not too bad considering some of the others.

Cutting:

Lights:
1-4" finished triangle (4 1/2" strip cut with Easy Angle (EA)
9-1" finished triangles (1 1/2" strip cut with EA)

Darks:
1- 6" finished triangle (6 1/2" strip and cut with EA)
11-1" finished triangles (1 1/2" strip cut with EA)

Couple things:   Don 't pay attentions to my extra white triangles.  I already had the squares sewn, so I had to un-sew 2 pieces.  Also - I tried adding the extra 2 dark triangles on the ends before joining with the large white triangle, and it didn't work well for me.  I would recommend adding them like the instructions say not the pictures.


Sew 9 of the extra small triangles together to make 1 1/2" squares.  Angie found it helpful to cut her strips 1 3/4" and square up the units to 1 1/2" after they were sewn.  sew the units together in pairs, then join the pairs.  Add the remaining half square to one of the units.  I pressed these seams open.

Pin and sew the shorter unit to the shorter edges of the light triangle.    Press toward the light triangle.  Now pin and join the longer unit to the other short side of the triangle.  Press this seam open.
Add the remaining 2 dark triangles to the left and right side.  This unit should be the same size as your dark large triangle.    Join the 2 pieces along the long edge to make a 6 1/2" square.

I sort of feeling like I am cheating on these.  Char gave me a mountain of triangles.  I sewed them together in one setting, now I am squaring them up and using them for 1 1/2" squares.  Thanks Char!  I love your leftovers.  I wish I could convince my kids leftovers were the best.  I bet they will understand someday that leftovers mean all the had work has been done.

I am working on 2 more blocks today (#87 Star Gardener, and #95 Temperance Tree), so check back tomorrow for more instructions.

Words of wisdom for today:  Never leave a bone in the sink and leave your dog unattended.  He can be a sneaky fellow when I go to the basement to sew.  The light bulb should have come on when he didn't follow me down the steps.

The sun is shining, supper is in the crockpot, and I have wine tasting tonight at the library.  It's been a good day.



No comments: