Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Temperance Tree

This is #95 according to the Farmer's Wife book.  Once again I was able to use some ready made pieces to cut down on my piecing time.  See all those little half square - thanks Char!

Cutting:

  • 18 light AND 18 dark half squares that finish at 1"  (1 1/2" strip with Easy Angle)
  • 2 - dark squares 1 1/2"
  • 1 - 4" finished dark half square triangle (4 1/2" strip with Easy Angle)
  • 1 - 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" dark (I cut mine 4" for a little extra wiggle room)
  • 2 - light triangles 2 1/4" strip cut with Companion Angle 
Sewing:
  • Make 18 half squares that measure 1 1/2"
  • Sew the large triangles to both sides of the 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" rectangle.  Line up the top of the triangle with the dark piece letting the dark color extend beyond the base of the triangles.  Press toward the dark.  






Square up the tree trunk to measure a 4" finished half square.  It should be the same size at the large triangle.  Sew the 2 pieces together to measure 4 1/2"

Sew the half squares together in pairs and the pairs together into 4 patches.  I pressed all the seams open.  Theses need to measure 2 1/2".

join the 2 - 4 patches at the left , and the 3 - 4 patches at the top

I am missing a few photos....because....I had my half squares going the wrong direction when I took the photos.  I had to take my block apart and resew it.  I know some only look at the photos, so I was afraid to include the photos with the triangles going the wrong direction.

Sew the joined 4-patches to the side of the 4 1/2" square and then add the larger section.

If you have any questions, just leave me a comment. I hope you block measures 6 1/2"

Next up - #79 Silver Lane



No comments: