Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Toys

I have always wanted a set of circles for my longarm, but generally speaking, I don't do much ruler work and I couldn't justify the cost.  After the amazing quilter Jenny posted this tutorial, I really wanted a set.  She has 2 blogs and does the most amazing work.

Circles have lots of uses, I just am more comfortable with freehand work over ruler work.  While I was quilting Angie's quilt with all the ruler work, I discovered it was much easier than the last time I tried using rulers.  The key is really being able to relax while holding the ruler.   This is sometimes easier said then done.

I came across Deep Blue Templates while searching for a circle template source.  I was able to get a set there very reasonable, and they had excellent feedback from customers.  These are 1/4" thick to use with a longarm.  They will not work with rotary cutting.

I wanted to give them a shout out on my blog because I was pleased with my purchase.  My templates came very quickly and were packaged very well.

6" circle from Deep Blue Templates

 Each template is laser etched with quarter marks to make centering easy.  There are 1/8 marks as well.  The sizes are marked clearly so I won't get them mixed up.  They are clear in color which I prefer to the green and they have a hole so they can be hung.

I can't wait to give them a try and see if I can make Jenny's design.

I ordered 2",3",4",5",6".  I think I would need a larger base for my machine if I went much larger.

If I can master this, I might be exploring more template options.


1 comment:

MaryAnn said...

Can't wait to see what you do with these. I may have to work on something with the circles in mind!