Monday, April 1, 2013

Design Floor

My design wall is still filled with the Farmer's Wife, so I am resorting to the floor.  It was hard to go back to work today after having a week off.  I enjoyed my week cleaning my studio and doing a little quilting.

Yesterday while finishing up a few things, I came across some pink pieces that I had cut long ago.  I think I have moved them several times.  I decided I was done moving them and I was going to come up with a plan (because I don't know know what my old plan was)  I had 25 sets.  After a quick calculation, I decided I needed 5 more to come up with enough for a baby quilt I needed to make.  I dug into my scraps and found the perfect pieces.

  It took me longer to pick the border fabric than it did to sew the blocks and arrange them.  I love the variety of pinks.

I have been wanting to practice sewing the binding on by machine, and I think this quilt will be perfect.  I think for a baby quilt, a machine sewn binding will work well.  I am constantly repairing the bindings on my kids quilts. It has nothing to do with the thread, but tug-of-war is hard on the quilt.  

I also hope to finish quilting my twister this week.  I have everything done but the outer border.  The quilting idea came from this quilt.  I can see an improvement in my feathers from the beginning to the end.  This is a large quilt!  I was beginning to think I would never get to the end.  I think it measures around 94 X 100.  

It is hard to believe it is April already!  I will post later on how I did with my UFOs this month.  It wasn't as good as I hoped, but I did make some progress.

Stop over to Judy's to see what others are working on this week.

1 comment:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Pretty pink top! I have several UFOs with no idea whatsoever what I was up to... and I do just what you did. Make it work now. It took me awhile to get comfortable with machine sewn binding but now I love it! I attach it on the back and fold it over to the front.

Great quilting too!