Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ozark Maple Leaf

This is an interesting block that reminds me of something entirely different.  We are moving on to FW block number 63 Ozark Mable Leaf.

Cutting instructions:
For Each Color (color 1 & 2)
  1. 2 - 2 1/2" squares
  2. 2 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
  3. 2- 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
  4. 4 - 1" finished triangles (1 1/2" strip cut with the easy angle)

For all the 2 1/2" squares use the cut away method and trim off the corners.  I have the Olfa frosted brand ruler in the pictures, so I have lined up the 1" line.  I you are using the easy angle, you will be lining up the 1 1/2" line.

If you are having problems with this, try taking a 1 1/2" piece of cardstock or template plastic, cut it on the angle 1/4"  from the corner.  Use the cut-away piece as a guide and place it on the fabric to show you where to line up the easy angle.


Sew the triangles on the 2 1/2" squares on opposing sides.  This block is traditionally called a signature block.  Carefully press the units toward the triangles.  Measure the units and square up to 2 1/2" if you need to.

Join the 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles to each of the signature blocks, then add the 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles.  

Measure the blocks and square up to 3 1/2" if necessary.  (My block is 3 colors because I didn't have anything bigger than 1 1/2" of color 2)


Join the 4 units to make a 6 1/2" block.  Because I added a third color, the block a has unique look.  I can't decide if I like it, but it looks more like a boxed block.
Only 20 pieces in this block- We are gearing up for the 37 pieces in wild goose chase later this month.

No comments: