Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sawtooth Star

#32 FW calls it Evening Star.  I think it is most commonly referred to as Sawtooth Star. 

Cutting instructions:

Color 1 - Blue for me
  • 1- 3 1/2" square
  • 4- 2" squares
  • 4- triangles cut with companion angle (CA)  2" strip
Color 2 - Yellow for me
  • 8 half squares cut with easy angle 2" strip



Isn't this firefly fabric great.  Ellen was kind enough to swap this fabric with me.  The crazy part is that I convinced her to buy it at the store.  I guess she should have convinced me!

Join the color 2 triangles to to the color one triangles.  I thought I would include the back of my block so you could see how I pressed. 

I like to press toward the large triangle when I join the first small triangle when making flying geese.  When I add the second triangle, I press this toward the smaller triangle.  I think this makes the unit lay flatter than if you press them both out.  When I join the geese to the squares, I like to sew with the geese on top.  You want to sew right through the "X" of the geese unit to give you a perfect point. 

Join the geese units to the squares and sew together like a 9-patch. 

Block should measure 6 1/2"
This finished the March Blocks.  The Farmer's Wife blocks for April (if you want to get started without me) are 30,34,63,90,60,75,108,46,83,105, and 33)  Some of these may get shifted to May if necessary.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if I didn't explain things well enough.

No comments: