Wednesday, June 20, 2012

#25 Cups and Saucers

I found this to be a challenging block with the tiny flying geese. 

Cutting:
Color 1:
  • 1 - 2 1/2" square
  • 4 - 2" finished half squares (2 1/2" strip with Easy Angle)
  • 8- triangles cut with Companion Angle 1 1/2" strip

Color 2:
  • 4- 2" finished half squares (2 1/2" strip with Easy Angle)
  • 16- 1" finished half square (1 1/2" strip with EA)

I would recommend trimming off the corners of the Companion angle pieces before you begin.  If you have any points on the 1" finished triangles, I would trim those off also.  It will be much easier for you to line things up without those points in the way. 

Start by making the flying geese.  These should measure 1 1/2" X 2 1/2".  I found it necessary to square these up after I made them.  I pressed the first seam toward the larger triangle, and the second seam out.  If I made it again, I would probably press these seams open to reduce bulk.  When I am sewing these little pieces, and plan on pressing open, I use a shorter stitch length (like 2.0 on a digital machine).  When quilting, you should never stitch in the ditch pieces that have been pressed open. 

Make the 4 - 2" finished half squares.  Square up if necessary (should measure 2 1/2").  Join the flying geese in pairs (should also measure 2 1/2") .  Press the seam joining the pairs open. 



Join the 9 - 2 1/2" units together by joining 3 blocks in a row and then joining the rows.  I pressed all of these joins open. 

I am pleased with how mine lines up.  I would like to try to make this block similar to a pineapple block.  If I get that far, I will post those instructions also.  This method would eliminate a lot of seams.

No comments: