Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peace and Plenty

This reminds me of how much I love those good and plenty candies.  You know the black licorice ones.  I just may have to get some at the store today.



Farmer's Wife number 64 Peace and Plenty.  While I was posting this block, I noticed that something didn't look quite right.  I became acquainted with the seam ripper, and now things are looking better.  This is how NOT to put your pieces together!!

I did not make mine like the book.  There are so many ways you could make this block.  You can make yours just like the book with 1 1/2" finished half squares if you prefer.  I sewed mine differently and eliminated 4 seams.

Cutting:

Background:
16- 1 1/2" finished half square triangles (2" strip cut with EA)

Color 2:
8- 1 1/2" finished half square triangles (2" strip cut with EA)
4 - triangles cut with 2" strip and Companion Angle (CA)

Sewing:

Sew together 8 half squares - square them up to 2" if necessary.  Join them in pairs.

Sew together 4 flying geese with the remaining triangles.  I pressed the first seam toward the larger triangle and the second seam toward the smaller triangle.  Square up to 2" x 3 1/2" if necessary

Join the flying geese units to the half square pairs to make 3 1/2" squares.   Join the 4 squares together to complete the 6 1/2" block. 


This is what your completed block should look like.  I pressed the seams where the flying geese met open as well as the seams where I joined the four patches.
If you sew your 4 patches together correctly, your block should look like this. 


No comments: