Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tulip #96

 I found this to be a fun block to make (you may question my mental status after you make yours).  I used some fun batik scraps for mine that were gifted to me by my friend Sue.  I am excited that she will be returning to the Hoosier state soon and and we can have some girl time.

To make it easier for you to follow, I am going to refer to the colors as the colors I used.  Just cross out the name and put in your color selection. 
Cutting:
Yellow:
  • 6 - 1 1/2" finished half squares (2" strip and Easy Angle)
Fuschia
  • 2- 2" X 3 1/2"
Green
  • 2- 1 1/2" X 4 3/4" 
Purple
  • 1- 3" finished half square (3 1/2" strip EA) 
Pink
  • 1- 2" x 6 1/2"
  • 1- 2" x 5"
Sewing:
Use the cut away method to trim both the corners of the fuschia rectangles.  They are reversed, so make sure you put wrong sides together when you trim them.  Use the same method to trim the edges of the green and the pink.   
Add the yellow pieces to the trimmed green pieces.  They should line up very nicely when you trim off the points.
Press toward the green
Next we are going to add the Yellow to the pink pieces.  I added the side pieces - press toward the yellow.
Then add the top pieces.  Press one toward the yellow and one toward the pink. 
Join these to make a 3 1/2" square.   
Add the Yellow and green units to both sides. 
Add the smaller pink rectangle to the purple triangle and then join with the remaining piece.
Your 2 halves should be the same size.  Sew the 2 halves together with the tulip piece on the top.  By putting the tulip piec on the top, you can correctly hit the "x" and get your perfect point. 
The block should measure 6 1/2". 

No comments: