Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Flower Basket #35

There are 2 baskets and 2 applique blocks and we tackled them both this month.  This basket is very similar to the last basket.  I personally like the shape of the other basket better, but I love the colors of this basket.

Cutting:
Background (Orange)
  • 1- 4" finished half square (4 1/2" strip EA)
  • 3- 2 1/2" squares
  • 2- 2" finished half squares (2 1/2" strip EA)
Basket base (light pink)
  • 2- 2" finished half squares (2 1/2" strip EA)
Basket & Handle
  • 1- 4" finished half Square (4 1/2" strip EA)
  • 1 1/2" x 5 3/4" CUT ON BIAS

Make the handle just like this post.  Fold the 4" finished half square in half to find the middle.  Measure out 1 1/2" from the middle and pin the handle to the half square.  Sandwich the handle between the half squares and sew them together to form a 4 1/2" square.

Sew the basket base half squares together and join with the 2 1/2" squares.  Press toward the 2 1/2" squares



Eleanor- I took this apart 3 times to get the stripes all going the same direction.  I know you are the only one that this would bother. :-)

Sew the handle down by hand or using the blind hem stitch on your machine.  Take care to keep the handle more than 1/4" away from the edge.  You are going to need to press and guide the handle to get it to lay flat and form a nice arch.  A little water soluble glue or wash away tape might help hold it in place nicely while you are stitching it.
Sew the base to the basket and you are done.  Block measures 6 1/2".  I have been wanting to do a pink and orange quilt for some time.  This really gives me the itch! 

At the Sunday Sewcial, I was having a hard time finding any pieces large enough to make this block.  Judy and Ellen were scrambling to give me larger pieces so I wouldn't move on to the blocks with the itty bitty pieces.  I decided it was time for a little bit of regrouping.  Remember when I started the FW, I started with a bucket of scrap.  Then I had to keep moving to larger and larger containers.  It seemed like my scraps were growing and I was having a hard time finding the size of pieces I needed.  This is what my bucket looked like on Sunday.


I simply couldn't take it any more.  I got busy and sorted and cut things into usable shapes so I could spend my time sewing and not sorting.  This is what my scraps look like now.  I think I am ready to get smoking on the one remaining May block and move us into the month of June.

This box contains squares and half squares.  Already cut to size.
This box contains all the strips cut to size in the following sizes 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" and a few 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" pieces that I stacked together.  There are so many strips that my clothespins won't hook.  If it wasn't 1 1/2" it went into the string basket or the trash.  Well, not exactly the trash....I put it in a basket that I use for dog bedding. 

1 comment:

Send gifts to pakistan said...

Its pretty cute. I love this.