Monday, January 26, 2015

Unexpected Event

I had lots of quilting planned for this weekend until I experienced an expected event.  It was certainly an act of gracefulness.  While taking a walk I rolled my ankle on a section of sidewalk that had been partially removed.  I experienced quite a roll as I tumbled to the ground.  I now have a beautiful elephant ankle that is all sorts of pretty colors.  Yesterday was spent icing and elevating.

I managed to put together a quilt top for charity.  These blocks have lived with me for many years.  It was a group project where everyone brought in a fat quarter of his/her ugliest fabric.  We swapped these fabrics and everyone made the same block (or mostly the same).  It was a great way to experiment with color.  Many used the Joen Wolfrum Color Tool  .  I made several blocks because I thought it was a great exercise.  Besides - I didn't want any of the fabric I received to remain in my stash.

I had enough blocks, that I sorted them,  The first 12 blocks were mostly dark and country fabrics,  I had the perfect sashing and border fabric in my stash.  Can you spot which fabrics were deemed the ugly fabric in the blocks.

 This is the second set of blocks.  I don't have them together yet, but I plan to put this set together without sashing and make a baby quilt version.

I plan to get these together this week and work on a few more UFOs.


Does anyone recognize the block they made?



4 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, this looks like a fun block to make. What a great way to use up and hide that ugly fabric that we all have in our stash. Hope your ankle gets better REALLY soon.

Nann said...

What an eclectic assortment! Interesting to see different interpretations (fabric placement). Sometimes the simplest projects linger for a very long time.

I hope your ankle heals quickly!

Deb said...

Ouch! I feel your pain, as I did that last May! In my own yard, luckily, right off the deck. Did the ice and elevating, but after 5 days the swelling didn't go down, went to the doctor and he said it was broken, but had started healing. And I had started walking on it too! Hate bum ankles.
It only slowed me down for 2 days for quilting tho, even tho it was my left. Good luck healing, and don't push it if still hurts! Get better!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Ankles can take a long time to heal... hope that you are up and about again. I took a spill in our iced up driveway in December on my bad knee which I was most worried about but it was my elbow that bugged me for a few weeks in the end. Looking forward to spring already!