I spent the day piecing an old project from the UFO parade. I never dreamed it would have taken me all day to put this quilt together. I had it in rows before the day started. I learned quite a few things during this quilt. I would like to share some of the mistakes I made along the way.
- If you spin the seams of 4 patches to get them to nest together perfectly, all the spins MUST go the same direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). This was my first pitfall that caused me to put the quilt away. I had to take my sashing units apart and sew them differently so all the seams matched.
- Sewing the sashing strips to the top of the blocks only works when the size is increasing.
- If you do not do number 2 correctly, you can fix the error by sewing partial seams (which is not the most fun)
- Double check that the blocks are going the correct directions before you sew the rows together.
- Large quilts take a lot of time to sew the rows together.
I would like to give you a visual of the problem I had with the sashing. I had sewn the 4 patch sashing to the tops of all the rows (shown in the first picture). I thought I was good to go, so I attached all the setting triangles.
When I took a closer look, I noticed the problem. Since the quilt was set on point, as the rows decreased in size, the sashing strips didn't border the larger previous row. I had to remove the setting triangles and go to plan "B"
I Joined the rows and trimmed the over-sized sashing triangle. This left me with a partial seam to complete from the previous triangle.
It is all together, now I need to figure out what color border to add. I love the 4 patch sashing, but it was a lot of extra work.
Tomorrow I hope to work on some quilting so I can report some finishes in the new year.